Saturday, March 22, 2008

Of Dogs and Babies

I am a dog person. I come from a dog family. I could not see my life with dogs. When my mother left my Stepfather #1 we had to leave our 2 dogs behind. That was the hardest thing I had yet to encounter at age 13 and for many years I cried myself to sleep because I missed my puppies so much. When we moved in with Stepfather #2 he had 2 cats, we would have to wait to get another dog.



When I met my husband and we started talking seriously about have a shared future together ( Like on our 3rd date!) I told him hands down, no matter what you say, we are getting a dog as soon as possible. I had it all planned out: I wanted a black and tan miniature dachshund. I was raised by dachshunds pretty much. My grandma's weiner dog Mimi was born 2 weeks before me and lived to be 19. My fathers parents always had dachshunds, I just love the breed. I could see my little weiner dog wearing cute collars, waddling on walks and just doing what dachshunds do best: burrowing in couch blanket for a nice nap. It was all planned...



One morning about 10 months after we had moved to our first base in Georgia I woke up early. We had been having intense discussions all week about finding a breeder and starting to look for our weiner dog. But when I woke up that morning I knew we weren't getting a dachshund. We were going to the pound. I woke the husband up and off we went. We got to the Lowndes County Animal Shelter 10 minutes after they opened. We filled out the registry and waited for someone to take us back to the dog area. We were lucky the lady said, they were just putting out some new puppies for the first time today. The mother had been found and brought to the shelter where she had the puppies but had to be put to sleep soon after. The puppies had been fostered and hand feed but were now 8 weeks old and ready for forever homes. We knew we wanted a female pup but were open to anything ( I saw we but the husband has learned to just go along with my ideas at this point. He's a good man.) We saw a little white puppy who could have been a jack russell/ beagle mix ( The mother was a beagle). I knew this was my puppy! The lady said ok, but lets take the other female from the litter into the play room just in case. So we go into the room and sit down and try to coax the little white puppy over. Poor thing just sat in the middle of the room and peed on herself. The other puppy waddled over, climbed into my lap and started knawing on my shoelaces. I started to pet her and she looked up at me and I just knew this was my girl. God wanted me at the pound that day to give this dog the best home she could have.



I love my puppy so much. My husband is deployed a lot and we have no children so she is all I have sometimes. She feels my moods and is always there when I need to have kisses or give kisses. She is so silly and funny, it is impossible to be or upset around my sweet pup. I love to smell her fur when she comes in from outside, you can just smell the grass and sunshine. She isn't what we planned for and wasn't even our first choice but she is half dachshund. And I can't imagine our life without her.


Right now I totally realize how this mirrors our IF and the choices we are making. Right now I am seriously debating adopting first. If I am as healthy as they say and my eggs are so good, then why not put IVF off until I'm 32? Thats 4 years from now, and I'm not even saying we would wait that long. I just want a baby as soon as possible. I could care less the source. There is no rule that says you MUST have biological children before you adopt. Right now since I'm diverting 95% percent of my pay cheach pay period we would have enough money by the end of the year to start the adoption process. With the doctors being so fucktarded I'm almost so over the IVF thing before it starts. I just want the end result, I dont care how it comes. I thought I knew once what i wanted and made plans for it but thats not how ife turned out and now I have something I wouldn't trade for the world.

No comments: