Saturday, September 15, 2012

Many years ago when first decided to use a donor, we came to the decision quickly but knew it would be some time before we could go forward with it. I know I wondered over the years if we were making the right choice for us. I wondered how my husband would really feel once a flesh and blood baby was here. I wasn't sure how his family would act towards her, if they would accept her the same as their other grandchild. I really worried throughout my pregnancy even though we had spent years talking about these issues. Husband felt strongly enough that if he felt his family didn't treat her as they do the other kids, he was prepared to cut them off entirely (which for the record I feel that's a bit harsh but its his family and his choice to make).

Now that our daughter is here, I have no idea why I ever worried or doubted. We so made the right choice. I have never seen my husband so happy as he is when he is holding his baby. It makes my heart ache sometimes when I see how in love he is with her. And she is a Daddy's girl! When she was very new she would always turn towards his voice and hated it when he left the room. Now at almost 10 weeks her biggest smiles and coos are for her Daddy. His family can't get enough of her! His dad is a huge guy and he loves letting her sleep on his chest..my bitty baby on her 6'8 grandpa's chest is just too cute. His mom can't stop buying her clothes, she only had boys and has male grandchildren so she is just in little girl heaven. After so many years it is hard to believe how good everything is but it really is. I could use a nap though.

We don't know our donor, we don't know really why he chose to donate but I have never been so grateful to someone in my whole life. Out of all the pain and procedures we got something wonderful.






2 comments:

alloallo said...

Thanks so much for this. There are so many worries I have while we're TTC to with an unknown donor - what will the baby look like? will it work? how will my husband feel (although not too worried about his family). We always hope it will feel more or less okay once we actually have a baby instead of imagining so many different possibilities, so it's really nice to see you write these things here.

MaryMargaret said...

She is adorable- how could anyone NOT love her to pieces! I am certain that the donor option doesn't always end up so well, but I'm so glad that it was the perfect choice for you guys. In my opinion, the end result is what matters most, not the route you took to get there.