Thursday, March 8, 2012

In 2008 my cousin lost her daughter at 26 weeks. She had really high blood pressure from the start of her pregnancy and they think that led to the umbilical cord being small. At one point she actually had reverse flow in the umbilical cord, at which time they decided to go ahead and do a c-section but the baby passed away before they could get her to a hospital that had a nicu (they live in a very rural area about 3 hours from a nicu equipped hospital). When she became pregnant again they were prepared. Her and the baby's father moved closer to the hospital. She had monitoring and ultrasounds every week with progesterone injections. Last Wednesday was 26 weeks. It was a hard and scary day for her which I fully understand. On Friday they admitted her because the baby was too small and began monitoring the umbilical cord. On Sunday the cord was showing signs of reverse flow. Baby B was born Sunday night at 26 weeks 4 days at 1 lbs 12 ozs. He was taken straight to the nicu and placed on a vent. Monday morning he was taken off the vent and has been breathing on his own ever since! He still has many weeks to go since the earliest he can go home is June 5th, his due date. My cousin is doing well, relieved that her son is doing good but hating that he has to stay and feels guilty about him being a preemie, which I guess I can understand. If anything happened to my girl I'd feel it was my fault no matter what happened. For now our little puffer is doing good and hopefully he'll behave and get to go home in June!

Baby B, a few hours old

2 comments:

Chickenpig said...

Wow! It amazes at what modern medicine can do :) Welcome to the world, baby B.

I'm also many hours away from a hospital with a NICU. When I was pregnant with my twins this was a HUGE concern of mine (naturally). I found that they have a helicopter, and it was only a 15 minute flight, and that they were prepared and on speed dial. I guess that explained the nervous look they all had on their faces any time I entered the building?

Jo said...

How very scary for your cousin and your family. Hoping that Baby B continues to get stronger every single day. Love and hugs to your whole family on this bittersweet day.